It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
221 Hospital Drive NE
Fort Walton Beach, FL 35248
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Ordering Death Certificates
Note: Florida death records prior to the year 2009 can be obtained only through the Bureau of Vital Statistics office in Jacksonville, FL. Please contact Jacksonville at 904-359-6900 x9000 for information.
Florida Death Records (any county) with/without Cause (2009-to present): $15.00 each
Who Can Obtain Death Records?
Certifications of death records without cause of death are open records and are available only with a completed Application for Florida Death Record DH 1961 (PDF 341 KB) and payment of fee. All applicants are required to provide a valid, government-issued photo ID (see Valid Forms of Photo Identification below). Death records that include the confidential cause of death information will require valid photo ID (see below) and can be issued only to:
- Spouse at time of death as listed on death record
- A parent listed on death record
- Child, grandchild, or sibling
- Legal representative of any of the above who provides documentation proving they are acting on that individual’s behalf
- Individual or agency who provides a will, insurance policy, or other documentation proving interest in decedent’s estate
- A legally entitled person may authorize another individual to obtain a confidential death record by completing an Affidavit to Release Cause of Death Information DH Form 1959 (PDF 89 KB) and attaching a copy of their photo ID. The individual receiving authorization will be required to complete an application and present their own valid photo ID.
- Order 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at VitalChek.com, or call VitalChek at 1-877-550-7330
- VitalChek fee: $5.00
- Express shipping can be requested for an additional fee.
Applications are accepted at our office in the Fort Walton Beach location of the Okaloosa Co Health Department at 221 Hospital Dr NE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548. Enter the lobby at the main entrance; Vital Records is to your left.
- A completed Application for Florida Death Record DH 1961 (PDF 261KB) is required along with check or money order. Credit cards are not accepted for mail or fax orders)
- Application must be accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope and mailed to Okaloosa Co Vital Records, 221 Hospital Dr NE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548.
- A completed Application for Florida Death Record DH 1961 (PDF 261KB) Mail. Mail check or money order to Okaloosa Co Vital Records, 221 Hospital Dr NE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548. (Credit cards are not accepted for mail or fax orders)
- Fax to 850-833-9275.
Primary Forms of Photo Identification
- Motor vehicle operator’s license issued by any US State or Territory or Canadian province.
- State ID card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Passport, US Passport Card, or valid provisional passport
- Military ID Card (DD Form 2 or DD Form 1173)
- Other forms of government-issued ID are accepted. Please call 850-833-9255 with questions or concerns.
Connect with DOH