Food Safety and Sanitation Program
- 850-833-9247 / 850-689-7859
221 Hospital Dr. NE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
810 E. James Lee Blvd., Crestview, FL 32539
The Florida Department of Health (FDOH) Food Safety and Sanitation Program’s mission is to ensure that food establishments as defined by s. 381.0072, Florida Statutes, are designed, operated, and maintained in a safe and sanitary manner so that risk to foodborne illness is minimized in institutional settings.
Food service establishments that are permitted through the FDOH include the following:
- Detention Facilities
- Public, Private and Boarding Schools
- Migrant Labor Camps
- Assisted Living Facilities
- United States Department of Agriculture Afterschool Meal Program
- Adult Family Care Home
- Adult Day Care Center
- Short-Term Residential Treatment Center
- Residential Treatment Facility
- Transitional Living Facilities
- Crisis Stabilization Units
- Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care Center
- Intermediate Care Facilities for Persons with Developmental Disabilities
- Civic & Fraternal Organizations
- Bars and Lounges
- Domestic Violence Center certified by the Department of Children and Families
- Vending Machines that dispense potentially hazardous foods at facilities regulated by the FDOH
- Temporary Events or Mobile Food Units at facility regulated by the FDOH
Environmental Health inspectors conduct 2 to 4 routine inspections per year depending on the type of food operation conducted at the facility.
Facilities are regulated under Chapter 64E-11 (pdf 268 kb) Florida Administrative Code.
Inspectors also conduct complaint inspections in response to citizen complaints. Inspection reports can be found at the state website.
Food service establishments that are regulated by the FDOH must apply for a Food Hygiene Sanitation Certificate. The following items are required to permit a Food Service Establishment:
• Food Hygiene Plan Review Letter (pdf 213kb)
• Application for Sanitation Certificate(DH-4086) (pdf 1.65mb)
• Food Establishment Plan Review Guide (pdf 17.62kb)
• Check List for New Food Service Facilities(pdf 6.87kb)
• Signature Card (pdf 188kb)
Mobile Food Unit
The regulation of food service establishments in Florida is divided between several state agencies. For information on other facility types please contact the appropriate agency below:
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation handles the inspection of restaurants, mobile food vehicles, and caterers.Information regarding permitting or inspections of these facilities regulated by DBPR can be found onlineor by calling the Customer Care Center at 850-487-1395.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services regulates grocery stores, convenience stores, and food processors. Information regarding permitting or inspections of these facilities by DACS can be found onlineor by calling the Division of Food Safety at 850-254-5595.
The Florida Department of Children & Families regulates food service in child care facilities. Information regarding permitting or inspections of these facilities by DCF can be found here.
The Agency for Health Care Administration regulates food service in hospitals and nursing homes. Information on the permitting or inspections of these facilities by AHCA can be found online or by calling 888-419-3456.
The Agency for Persons with Disabilities regulates food service in group homes that serve persons with disabilities. Information on the permitting or inspections of these facilities by APD can be found here or by calling 1-866-273-2273.
Additional information on Food Establishments can be found on the Florida Department of Health website.