It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
Group Care Facilities
- 850-833-9247 / 850-689-7859
221 Hospital Dr. NE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
810 E. James Lee Blvd., Crestview, FL 32539
The Florida Department of Health (FDOH) Group Care Program’s mission is to ensure good sanitary health and safety practices exist for the welfare of people dependent upon the institution in which they reside or attend. The two categories of group care facilities include residential facilities and educational facilities (schools). Group care facilities are defined by s. 381.006(16).
Group Care facilities include the following:
- Residential Facility
- Assisted Living Facility
- Adult Family Care Home
- Short Term Residential Treatment Center (DCF licensed facility)
- Residential Treatment Facility (AHCA licensed program)
- Home for Special Services
- Transitional Living Facility
- Crisis Stabilization Unit
- Boarding School
- Residential Child Caring Agency
- Public School
- Private School
- Charter School
- Vocational or Technical School
Environmental Health inspectors conduct 1 to 2 routine inspections per year depending on the type of facility. Residential facilities are regulated under Chapter 64E-12 (PDF 121 KB)
- Public Schools and schools located on school board property are regulated under 64A-2.0010 (PDF 144KB), FAC.
- Private schools are regulated under 6A-2.0040 (pdf 137 kb).FAC.
Inspectors also conduct complaint inspections in response to citizen complaints. Inspection reports can be found online.
Connect with DOH